1. The elders cut your hair short when you go to war and only when you come home again can you grow it out again.
2. I keep a list of all the things I won’t miss about Earth scribbled in the self-cleaning margins of the training manuals and written in the fog of the bathroom mirror.
3. Moss crawls along the brickwork in hours, not years, soaking in the magic baked into the stones.
4. “I always thought you hated me, the whole time we were growing up— now this?” She waved the sword half-heartedly in his direction, her dramatic speech derailed.
5. Songbirds cluster in the trees around them, silent save for the rustle of feathers and faint scratches of claws on