1. Seven used to be a lucky number until the moon went dark.
2. The wind is strong enough today to send waves rippling over the surface of the lake. No one is there to greet me at the dock, I’m guessing what fish are left have fled the fires, hiding in the deepest reaches of the flooded mine.
3. “An arm or a leg, that was the deal,” the harvester said with a grinding of gears.
4. Carefully she coaxes the seeds awake, her magic feeds the King’s flowers the warmth and sunlight they need to blossom in time for the wedding.
5. The birds circle overhead, riding the warm currents from the burial fires.