1. The uncanny valley is long gone, robots look no less human than we do– when we want them to.
2. “I would have thought– ah. No, I see. You’ve done this on purpose.” He put the cube back on the table with distaste. “This apprenticeship is over.”
3. Death laps at the door in an oily tide, floodwaters plumped with industrial wastes and rotting fish.
4. A very few are unlucky enough to lack the talent for small magics and are forced to learn the larger without the luxury of mistakes.
5. Geese fly overhead in raucous v-formations, hellbent on the northern lakes and disinterested in our forests below.