1. My grandmother made a promise to the river when she was a child and each night the waters call on her to keep it.
2. This close to the star the solar winds are playing merry havoc with sensors meant for deep space travel, but there’s no way to turn off the warnings.
3. “That wasn’t the lesson!” She objected frowning at the embers. “You were supposed to draw on the element of earth to smother the fire, not– whatever it was you did.”
“I removed the oxygen from the air, it’s the same thing! Ish.”
4. There’s a string of storms tearing across the valley, short violent bursts of thunder and rain that last just long enough to terrify.
5. Halloween has moved from neighborhoods to parking lots, but he stubbornly decorates the house each year, even if the closest children will come is in passing cars.