1. I was the best of the best, I had to be to get this diplomatic posting, but even after years on-planet I still had trouble gauging their emotions.
2. When he turns forty tiny silver scales begin to creep out from his hairline, inching slowly outwards as the days pass and the curse soaks into his bones.
3. The dark and light sides of the planet are both too inhospitable to colonize, so they spread out along the circumference enwrapped in a perpetual dusk and dawn.
4. The magic pops and flashes in miniature fireworks as we get closer.
5. “I wish you could have seen her when she was new.” She ran a hand down the battered hull with a wistful smile just short of tears.