1. There’s a hole in the sky where the moon used to be.
2. The bedposts curl up over the bed and split into a thousand branches just higher than her fingers can reach, each one trimmed with thin wooden leaves.
3. Waves lap against the beach, a slow gentle sweep that lures bathers into the undertow.
4. The djinn gives them as many wishes as they want, reveling in their increasing despair as he makes each one into a curse instead of a blessing.
5. “I salted your brother’s grave for a reason,” her mother snapped as she snatched the shovel away.
Leave a Reply