1. My older brother never speaks about what happened to our parents, all I know is they’re not coming back.
2. The tiny flying serpent is as fragile as butterfly wings and they take care not to touch it as it undulates from flower to flower.
3. There’s no more atmosphere to carry them and for a moment they hang at the apex of the curve… then it’s down, down, down into the flames.
4. Waves lap gently against the shore, a pale imitation of the savage storm surges only hours before.
5. Draft mules are ugly, but powerful companions, and as they push deeper into the mountains the pursuing horses slowly abandon the chase. By the time they reach the high pass only one remains.