1. I walked out that door once and I haven’t regretted it, but I can’t bring myself to walk out of it again.
2. The desert’s climate is cold and deadly dry, sucking any hint of moisture from the surroundings. They go out wrapped from head to toe, breathing through heavy respirators that humidify as much as filter.
3. “Watch out for the turnip!”
4. The hours after the accident are muddled washes of memory, a faint impression of events without the detail.
5. “Five times you have asked me and five times I have answered.” The demon gave him a tired, frustrated glare. “You have no soul left to barter, so why am I here?”