1. They might not understand the words, but every child old enough to sing has memorized the ballads of the Long Summer.
2. The car is held together by duct tape, coat hangers, and more curses than prayers.
3. Fear is the last thing a predator wants to sense; a scared meal is a moving meal. If you want to live long enough to have cubs of your own, learn to soothe and not terrify.
4. Metal armor only amplifies the heat of the dragon’s lair and they shed layers as they creep inwards until only thin layers of cloth and leather protect them from the flames.
5. “Your sister hates me already, I think.” He rubbed his jaw where the bruise was blooming. “And I haven’t even started.”