1. They line the coffins with hemlock and rhubarb leaves to make sure the dead stay dead.
2. I never knew my sister or her husband, but I wasn’t going to admit that to the social worker. Dad’s family had decided long before I was born that Rebecca would be the last of his children and no one could convince them otherwise. But I was all their kids had now and damned if I was going to let that lie ruin their lives too.
3. Mountains rise up through the clouds like a line of old teeth, rounded and broken by the years.
4. Sparks are torn free of the fire by the wind and dance across the night sky, a thousand dying stars each born to carry her wishes to the Moon.
5. “It’s not that!” He objected, trying desperately to come up with another reason that she would believe.