1. They worked frantically to drag the wounded from the battlefield as the forest began to eat the dead.
2. Four towers reach up from the walls, each tipped with a burning flame of different colors. Mirrormen use them to signal incoming airships to their berths in an endless dance of light and color.
3. “I don’t remember offering you a choice.”
4. He hadn’t lost his cellphone, he had lost his life. Everything that mattered was on that charred piece of plastic, still smoldering under the extinguishing foam, and he had no way of telling anyone.
5. The cub was a rambunctious ball of fluff and feathers, more apt to amuse than terrify.