1. It’s the last time she’ll see them before the executions.
2. Four massive stone beasts sit at the cardinal points of the glade. Perched on soapstone pedestals they glaring disapproving down at the empty altar.
3. “Your mother had more respect for–“
“My mother was an idiot. I’m not.”
4. Metal spoons last longer than wooden ones, but the tinkers and traders are few and far between in the long hot summers. So they spend their idle time whittling as they watch the herds.
5. The bus is late– the bus is always late, but this time he can’t afford to wait.