1. The rush of molten blood beneath the dragon’s skin brightens its scales until it nearly glows in fury.
2. I left home when I was forty-nine and I don’t regret a minute of it.
3. “Right, so we’re unarmed, outnumbered, and there’s no cavalry coming. Would this be a good time to say ‘I told you so’ or should I wait until we’re actually captured?”
4. The woods are full of constant noise. Rustling leaves, the scratch of tiny nails against the bark, all punctuated with gusts of wind that bend heavier bows creaking under its push.
5. Loose horses are as common as dogs in the village and it takes her a few days to get used to the idea that they haven’t escaped.