1. In the shadow of the hangman’s noose, the tiny delicate vines of blood roses thrive.
2. The drone hovers slightly above and behind her head, providing multi-wavelength input to her heads-up display, acting as a second mobile set of eyes as they move through the jungle.
3. He would have been handsome in another life, but the mines grind us all to dust.
4. The victory gardens in our neighborhood were all identical, the same basic staples over and over to the point where I was always amazed the bees didn’t get lost. Then there was our garden. Chilies, turmeric, chickpeas, and kaddu– my mother grew home in that garden plot and it’s what kept us going through the war.
5. Her magic shows in dancing wisps of blue and pink as if her hands were spinning cotton candy from the air.