1. The town was too remote to deal with minted currency, the King’s coin meant nothing where it couldn’t be traded easily. Instead, the villagers bartered favors and I found myself on a convoluted trail of errands to earn a place to sleep.
2. After the apocalypse it becomes apparent there was never such a thing as a ‘domesticated’ cat.
3. “You don’t really think I hate you, right?” She frowned worriedly, a look so unexpected that his brain refused to process it for a moment. “You know this is just–” she waved a hand, “I dunno, high school. You weren’t supposed to take it seriously.”
4. There was a time when ‘species of human’ wasn’t a checklist on job applications, but the world has gotten weirder and there’s no use crying over spilled magic.
5. As we start to pick up speed the stars in front of us fade softly into a blueish tinge, although I’m never sure if it’s really happening or my brain’s just playing tricks on me.