1. In the lean years, there are fewer dragon riders born than dragons and each hatching the nests are soaked in the blood of the unbound.
2. The line for coffee is almost long enough to make him try and survive without, but at the last minute he sees her join the queue and that decides it.
3. With every gust of wind another small tsunami of leaves is ripped from the trees.
4. “You put too much faith in me.”
5. The lake is a quiet mirror of the sky this time of year. The few hikers who brave the cold nights are rewarded with a doubled eternity of stars.