1. “Can you promise me it won’t ever happen again?” His finger never wavered from the trigger.
After a long moment, she stepped back. “No.”
2. There is an ethics inherent to magic that the scientists weren’t expecting, an unexpected variable that plays havoc with their experimentation.
3. It’s a forest, but there aren’t any trees.
4. Dragons wrap themselves in borrowed lives, adding their victim’s pasts and futures to their own. Which is why most prefer to take the very young over the very old, adding empty years instead of memories.
5. The mist is so fine she can barely feel it, but it’s too heavy to be fog and it reminds her of the sea.