1. The false sun rises green above the ocean, its light meant only to keep the dying world alive for one more year.
2. “I don’t think she meant for us to die,” he said as the survivors looked out across the wasteland where they had been abandoned weeks ago. “I think she thought we’d survive, somehow. Immortals forget what it’s like to live.”
3. The early morning hours make the world seem off-kilter, as if the suburbs were truly dead instead of asleep. Streetlights cast hazy pools into streets filled with fog and nothing else.
4. The days pass by with increasing speed. Every step further the research takes them the more giddy they become.
5. Travel is faster than it used to be, decades now instead of centuries, but few people are willing to trade their lifetimes for the stars.