1. Her life is filled with the shadows of things she could have done and that’s darker than her brother’s shadow will ever be.
2. The atmosphere is heavy with moisture, enrobing the valley in an endless fog. It seeps into every porous surface, leaving their fingers permanently wrinkled and their clothing a sopping mess.
3. “Marshmallows are basically candied air,” she said licking the remnants of the toasted goo off her fingers. “I like the ways these people think.”
“You’d have a hard time breathing it,” he pointed out, making sure the campfire turned his own puffs of white into tasty charcoal. “But you’re right, I’ll take a planet with a sweet tooth any day.”
4. He waits until the last possible minute to tell her he’s leaving, but even that brief memory of grief is enough to turn the following years’ joy to dust.
5. Success is measured in the number of cats you own. The more cats the more rats, the more rats the more food— the only crazy cat ladies here were the rich ones.