1. The Apocalypse sounds like silence.
2. Their shadows flicker and twist independently of the light as the false heat shimmers of magic intensify around them
3. “Stop trying to change your life all at once,” she said with a wave of her half-finished danish. “Be like the bird and the pebbles.”
“You know, with the water in the glass and how it drops pebbles until the water is high enough to drink? Don’t drop boulders, don’t drop sand, drop pebbles.”
4. There are rules for war in polite society and he spend the years of preparation making sure they were engraved on his heart. He meant to keep what he conquered, unlike his father whose legacy was a trail of ash and bones.
5. Every year the leaves pile up in giant mountains ranges across the backyard and Father vows that this year will be the year he cuts all the oak trees down.