1. The whales breach from the ocean in spiraling arcs, turning the vampiric leeches to ash in the scattered heartbeats they are above the waves.
2. Life is made of nothing but regrets, countless hours spent staring into the darkness before sleep claims us replaying everything we could have– should have done.
3. In retrospect, the fact her ex-boyfriend could never connect to her home wireless really ought to have been a sign. She’s not sure if the sign was leaning more towards ‘your boyfriend is an ass’ or ‘your network has developed an artificial intelligence and thinks your boyfriend is an ass’.
4. She just looks at me for a moment and then turns away. The I told you so she doesn’t say burns worse than salamander’s fire.
5. The shadows are darkest right after midnight.