1. The vulture is massive and its dark wings conceal most of the body as it defends its prey.
2. ‘Shots fired’ means different things to different people, but I’d worked with McCarthy long enough to know it really meant ‘I’m hit.’
3. Never tell a Wyvern the truth.
4. The lights in the house are always dimmed so the shadows that scurry from corner to corner are harder to see and easier to ignore.
5. “You should have picked someone else,” he said in lieu of an apology. “I told you that when we started.”