1. “We hate to call them expendable,” he looked down at the dog fondly, “but realistically– we’re all expendable when we need to be.”
2. There is nothing as humbling as realizing you’ve been stood up.
3. Magic is everywhere, but in dilute amounts too weak to feed even the smallest spell. Thankfully being able to tap that power is an evolutionary leap that both plants and animals have made, so the colonists need only to step into the apex of the food chain to reap the benefits.
4. The lumbering beasts are hard to classify in Terran terms. The closest she can come is a pig crossed with a jackrabbit, but the resulting mess is easily the size of a water buffalo. Thankfully all the report asks for is ‘Is there life?’ with no explanation required.
5. It’s a blindingly bright day, the kind where you have to fight to remember how cold it really is outside.