1. My mother was the only one that cared if I came home, so I made sure never to disappoint her.
2. The music rises from the orchestra pit, a fog of soft woodwinds punctuated by sharp darting flutes and the deep rumble of the drums.
3. “I very specifically didn’t promise you anything.” he said, brushing her hand away in annoyance. “I thought I had been clear on that point.”
4. Living in glass houses turned out to be a lot easier than they imagined.
5. The dogs are very faintly wrong in a way she can’t quite place, as if they were simple pretending to be dogs.