1. For the first time since the war enveloped us, the skies are silent.
2. His days begin and end with the clock-like hum of the sleep pods as they sing him in and out of cryosleep.
3. The windows of the cell are too high up to see out and the meager patch of sunlight never creeps far enough down the wall to touch with more than his fingertips.
4. We don’t shift shapes as werewolves do, but instead merge beings with our animal bondmates. It’s a partnership, not a possession, so we choose our other selves with care.
5. There’s a shadow by the doorway that hasn’t moved in an hour, but somehow she can see it breathing.