1. I waited for three hours, which was probably two and a half hours too long, but it takes a long time for hope to die.
2. The cloth feels like air on his skin, featherlight and richly indulgent in a way he hasn’t felt for years.
3. “I hate to ask, but did it ever occur to you to tell them no? No, you can’t use the neighbor’s kid as a human sacrifice. No, you can’t make a pact with a demon? Because honestly, it should have.”
4. Shadows are static things in a world where the sun never moves.
5. The last time I was here the forest was on fire.