1. The world is silent and still, dead without even the smallest hint of life.
2. Cars are too easy to see, even off-road, so they break out on foot, doing their best to seek cover from the drones.
3. They cover the plane in orange and green goop to deice it, sprayed from hoses held by operators too wrapped up in staying warm to notice the kids’ joy.
4. It looks much warmer than it is; a gloriously blue sky with no clouds and bright sunshine– bouncing off ice at least an inch thick and more snow that I hope to see again in my lifetime.
5. My mother left us when I was two. Or we left her, my father’s always been vague about who did the actual leaving, but he’s always been clear about the fact she’d had enough of my abilities. She wrote me a letter before she left, explaining everything including why she didn’t want me trying to find her.