1. He stared out the window, blindly drawing a stone out of the jar with a shaking hand and refusing to look at it before handing it to the priest. His whole life came down to this and he had to trust in the Fates.
2. Lost pennies shine on the boardwalk like stars and they carefully pocket the lucky ones, flipping over the others to let the bad luck drain out.
3. “You planetborn folk always obsesses about ways to die in space,” he scoffed, “but I’ve seen a vid or two and where you come from doesn’t look much safer to me.”
4. The rain spatters against oversaturated lawns, flooded cul de sacs, and storm drains overwhelmed with hurricane debris.
5. I try my best to hate my friends, my family, my pets– but it’s never enough. Everything I love, dies.