1. Magic is abundant, but useless. It litters the landscape with faded auras that sparkle when the moon is full… and not much else.
2. “Better sorry than safe!” was her favorite phrase and she fully expected it to be carved into a tombstone long before she hit old age.
3. They dig tribute rivers to the sea, draining lakes and ponds in their quest to calm the Deep Mother’s hunger for her children.
4. Watching the fire turn my childhood to ash was the closest I’ve ever come to being happy.
5. Tomorrow, yesterday– empty constructs that fall away as the days roll by, each one a perfect twin of the one before. For a while he slips into the hallucination that he’s living the same day over and over, but there are subtle variations in Purgatory, once he learns where to look.