1. He can tell them apart by their footsteps.
2. Insects are the only true predators here, instead of rain the local food chain’s ebb and flow is built around the arrival of the swarms.
3. I’d gotten too used to being alone; my veneer of civilization wasn’t so much worn as completely remodeled.
4. Cats litter the apartment like fallen leaves, purring and content in the sunbeams.
5. The apocalypse came and no one noticed, which sadly said more for the state of the world than it did the quality of the apocalypse.