1. Winter is an afterthought here, other than the mild shortening of daylight he would have been hard-pressed to tell November from July.
2. Hair isn’t useful in space, so they’ve tweaked our genomes until what grows in reminds me more of my mom’s old terrier than anything human.
3. The last notes of the song fade off into the sunset and after a long moment, the melody is picked up by the next town along the ridge.
4. Parents are judge, jury, and executioner here in a literal way that the translators hadn’t handled well. Thankfully the Ambassador was collected enough to smooth out the oversight before his son was killed.
5. My life lives only behind my eyes, a paper-thin existence that obscures the world.