1. The East Mountain mail post was in the middle of nowhere, reduced to sending letters in and out by bighorn sheep and buzzard.
2. She has a hundred different lives living in her head, people she tells herself she might have been if only things had been fair.
3. The journey wore on refugees; wore on their clothes, and their flesh, and their minds.
4. Fire flares up from the valley as the storm hits the late summer grasses, brittle and dry they’re perfect fodder for the flames.
5. He’d been hoping for a more enthusiastic reception but at this point, they’re grateful for what little hospitality they get.