1. Good intentions are all we have left and we’re all going to hell anyway… it might as well be paved.
2. There’s a shadow on the moon, wide lemon-yellow wings that cup the air and turn the valley to gold.
3. Being forty is pretty much the same as being any other age, you look back, wonder how you could have been so stupid and look forward thinking you’ll do it right this time. Which is pretty much the same thing you were doing at thirty and the same thing you’ll be doing at fifty.
4. Slivers of glass still litter the floor, fanning out from the picture’s impact point in a painful reminder that Heather really wasn’t coming back this time.
5. ‘Calculating and cold’ seems to be the general gist of the yearly reviews and he wonders what they’d been expecting in someone remolding civilians for war.