1. Rough scaly skin caught the light, drawing the dragon’s outline in sharp shattered lines.
2. January is a long and dreary month. The sun spends its days sulking behind thick grey clouds that don’t snow, but don’t let enough heat through to melt the ice.
3. They can see the future, but it’s muddled with echoes of probabilities. At best they can tell you what is more likely to happen, in descending order, until the visions are too faint to tell apart.
4. Horses and cattle thunder through the pass, kicking up a massive dust cloud that blots out the sun and leaves them blinded. Somewhere in the chaos one of the hands is trampled and screams– and the frantic rush to safety turns into a full-out stampede.
5. There are only seven stars left in the sky and they name them one by one, a nightly ritual against the day when there’ll be nothing left at all.