1. The only rule in war is to stay alive and stay free—but survival’s not enough, not anymore.
2. Spiders dance in the moonlit sky, spinning and swooping on the night winds that turn their silk sails into wings.
3. “She stood here once, cup of coffee in hand, and told me I’d never amount to anything.” He looked across the ruined kitchen, “She was right, I guess.”
“It’s a little hard to be a lawyer in the middle of a zombie apocalypse,” his sister shrugged.
4. Porters ferry them from place to place and for a while, he feels like a sheep surrounded by indifferent dogs. He wonders what they’d really do if he just jumped off the sled, but he’s seen what’s left of her scars.
5. It might have been a mountain once, before time and long-forgotten tides wore it away. She stood at the edge of the black sand and looked up at the hill, searching for what could have been.