1. Songs are for victors and there’s no one left to sing.
2. ‘Overly protective’ doesn’t begin to describe the way she feels and it takes every ounce of courage not to snatch him back out of harm’s way.
3. Spices are the first thing they trade for, as soon as they can tell for sure what’s safe to eat. There’s only so much blandness they can tolerate and six months is two months too long to wait for ‘pass the salt.’
4. Gossip never considers ‘too soon,’ all it cares about is what sins the dead left behind.
5. The silence is pervasive enough that for a moment all he can hear is his own heartbeat thundering in the dark.