1. I am the last and I will always be the last– my immortality reborn anew on their final breaths.
2. Planning for the unexpected normally means planning for things that could reasonably happen, but this time reality has taken the gloves off.
3. Colony chickens are feral things; vicious, fast, and without even the slightest hint of fear they roam the alleyways and fields. For the moment pest control is more important than meat, but Sam looks forward to the day they’re back on the menu.
4. Flowers collect around her grave like tears, a visual cacophony of grief.
5. Shadows are gateways, if you look at them right. Like optical illusions that are both raised and sunken, dancing girls that spin both left and right– seeing them’s a skill, nothing more.