1. She’s lived too long in the dark to come out now. She catches glimpses of their lives from the shadows and that’s enough.
2. It hurts less than he expected, but the pain’s still enough to bring him to his knees.
3. Lions roam the crumbling parking lots, or what’s left of lions—they’ve crossbred down from the savannah predators into something closer to a panthers, but they still hunt in prides and she knows better than to leave the fires burning for long.
4. Gray boats crowd the sand like beached porpoises, thin and still and reeking of death.
5. Counting on luck to save you is never a good Plan B, but this group hadn’t even thought that far down the alphabet.