1. Turning off the news was the best thing I could have done for my sanity.
2. It takes four years before the first of the fields bear fruit, but once they’ve reached that tipping point the colony can finally focus on something beyond simple survival.
3. Bright yellow flowers encased in ice are all that’s left as spring fades back into the eternal winter.
4. Nuances of speech are everything from tone, inflection, speed, body language—it’s not learning an alien vocabulary that’s the problem it’s learning everything else.
5. He isn’t quite sure when he bought into the trope that revenge left people empty and cold, but it comes as a pleasant surprise when he realizes he’s won –finally won— and that there’s plenty left to live for.