1. ‘Justified homicide’ is the only response she gets from the computer terminal, no matter what she says or how she says it. She keeps trying, as the blood dries and any hope of rescue fades with the light.
2. The dragon rears up, drunken and unsteady, belching wads of fiery tar that splatter against the cobblestones.
3. If ever there was a time for stirring speeches, this would be it– but after a moment of waiting it becomes apparent, no one had planned that far ahead.
4. Two ancient trees frame the end of the driveway; massive fluffy pines that have been interwoven and trimmed into a graceful archway. Whatever awe they might have inspired is ruined by the cheery blinking Christmas lights that twinkle from their depths.
5. They were things better left unsaid, but her family was never good at unsaying things.