1. Her world lurks in the spaces between the words.
2. The stench of the shellac permeates the garage; even with the door open and the fans blowing it’s almost intolerable in the summer heat.
3. In the stories space pirates had cool pets like robot parrots and space cats with eight legs. Instead she had a guinea pig that was more interested in their victims’ hydroponics bay than their pocketbooks.
4. Tornados are a constant threat, but they’ve learned how to use the mining lasers to tear them apart with lines of superheated air.
5. She hadn’t meant to leave him behind, but in the chaos of the evacuation what she thought she’d done and what she actually did were two heart-wrenchingly different things.