1. The walls of the city go up and up, a curtain of red brick only a breath from touching the clouds themselves.
2. I always figured family was the penance God gave you for sins you hadn’t committed yet.
3. They passed the time making up stories about the other travelers. Stories that got more and more absurd until one of their targets overheard them and they were banished to the other car with the rest of the children
4. Without paper there’s no written contracts. It all comes down to trust out here, and once your word is worthless there’s no going back.
5. It was the politest mugging I’ve ever been in, which was probably the most disturbing thing about it.