1. There’s a light dancing at the bottom of the wishing well, but he knows better than to toss his quarter in.
2. Two columns of smoke spiral up from the wreck, one was the white fluff of simple steam but the other a sooty black smudge that meant the oil was burning.
3. “Remembering who I’m supposed to be isn’t that easy,” she snapped. “And God knows you wouldn’t want me without the mask.”
4. If you want to get nothing done without anyone noticing– form a committee of experts. Preferably people who make their living talking about the big picture and relying on other people to work out the details.
5. The older aliens never take us literally; they’ve learned the boundaries of translation the hard way.