1. Knives are currency here and the thin silver blade vanishes into the merchant’s pockets without any attempt to haggle him up– crown princes come cheap in the fourteen kingdoms.
2. “Aliens, it’s always aliens!” she snapped, “Can’t for once in your life it just be magic? I’m sick and tired of aliens!”
3. Volcano chains march along the faultlines like the tips of a leviathan’s spines, setting the misty horizon aglow with muted flames.
4. You never really get out of debt to your past, even if you don’t owe money you’re bound all the same. Which is why I’m back here on a dead end street in a dead-end town, paying back the last of my promises.
5. If it had been anyone else, she might have hesitated, but he’d died often enough to know better.
Leave a Reply