1. Footsteps in the snow are all that’s left of his flock– footsteps and the wide feathery imprint of striking wings.
2. Gadgets don’t inherently trump superpowers, but superpowers are reflexive instinctive things and if they’re young or overconfident then I’m all but guaranteed the win.
3. Asymmetric life is rare on Earth, where two by two or six by six propels us through our days. But here in space life is less prone to balanced forms, perhaps because there’s no need to actually balance in the first place.
4. Black snakes are the easiest to talk to; they’re so used to humans wandering through their daily lives that it seems less absurd that we might learn the mother tongue.
5. Half-past never and straight on ’till mourning is the pirates’ way to Neverland.