1. “I can’t believe you’re drinking cold blood.” She made a face as he pulled the bag out of the fridge.
“What, you need me to wiggle it for you so it looks alive?”
2. The metal plaque was set solidly into the weathered stone, a short benediction in Latin and then nothing. He ran his fingers over the space where the names would go, feeling the letters that weren’t there.
3. Winter came hard and fast on the alien plains, temperatures dropped thirty degrees overnight and kept falling.
4. His inbox was full five minutes after he posted his resignation. The sentiment was overwhelmingly negative, but he’d never gone into business to make friends—enemies paid out better in the end.
5. Once Upon a Time there was an ugly prince who married a cruel stepsister, only they hadn’t bought into other people’s fairy tales and thus lived happily ever after.