1. There’s a whisper through the leaves, a soft dry wind that had no place in a tropical jungle.
2. “How ’bout another chance?” He picked up a third softball from the pile, juggling it for a moment before handing it over. “It’s a slow day, you’re a cute kid, go on, have at it.”
3. Frogs make a better warning system than you’d expect, when the swamp goes silent I know it’s time to unwrap the skull.
4. “No one goes out alone.” She ran down the checklist of equipment, finger flying with practiced ease. “You don’t know how to protect yourselves yet,” she fixed his hip holster so the gun didn’t catch on the straps, “but you’ll learn.”
5. After a week the lack of land stops bothering him and after a month he’s forgotten about the horizons, spending most of his time deep below the waves.