1. A thin bank of clouds is all that separates them from the sea.
2. Safety in numbers is a fallacy they’ve learned to guard against, but humans have never been good at keeping to themselves.
3. “Before you ask, before you think about asking, remember that in this world you are considered a burden. You are another mouth to feed, another body to shelter, you bring nothing to the table except brute strength and they are very very aware of that.”
4. Life has a way of making its own plans while you’re off trying to figure out what you want to be when you grow up. Sure, I like helping people, but ‘helping people’s a long way from being halfway around the world, covered in someone else’s blood.
5. “Sometimes ‘almost’ is as good as it gets,” she helped him up from where he’d been thrown.