1. They sound like songbirds, chirping and chortling as they stalk, and while the prey is distracted the pack strikes.
2. “Better sorry than safe,” he grinned. “Everyone should have regrets, no? So come, let us make you some memories.”
3. There are words carved into the dragons’ steel hides; cryptic warnings, and pictograms of gruesome wounds that should have scared them away. But children have the advantage of ignorance and when nothing befell the first boy who climbed the Eastern Dragon’s flanks, the others quickly followed suit.
4. Caring for the sick and wounded is the fastest way to slow an army—so they didn’t. Tiny fortifications sprung up on the edges of battlefields as those left behind dug in and prepared for winter.
5. “I don’t see what the problem is.” The wizard frowned. “You need food, a place to live, and a paycheck. I need a horse. It’s only a temporary spell…”