Below is the rough outline for a short story that is in queue for this year’s June Camp NaNoWriMo. You can see a list of all of the stories here, or you can just click on the Camp NaNoWriMo tag and get all the planning goodness.
Working Title: Ties That Bind
Blurb: The Silverwitch is gone, but the web of magic encasing Rockfall remains.
- Mira is trying to find a way to keep the spells that Smith had over the town of Rockfall in place. Zee thinks it’s a waste of time and that she should just let things revert to normal and let them deal with the fallout. The pack wants the silverwitch magic gone.
- Zee grumps around town while Mira researches, he runs into one person who isn’t wearing silver.
- Mira finds out that the silver isn’t just acting as a SEP field, it’s also slowing the aging of everyone in town.
- The one person without silver talks to Zee about things, turns out they know a lot more than expected. Not a silverwitch, just good at staying under the radar.
- Zee returns with the news as soon as Mira find out the truth from the notes. Folks in the town are a LOT older than they thought they were. Undoing the spell would pretty much kill them all off.
- They go back to the Alpha, explain the situation, argue for a slow fading of the spell instead of an instant cutoff. Mira has found a way to tie the spell into the local magic network instead of feeding off a silverwitch and how to keep it from being taken over again.
- The alpha is not amused, but Zee argues for her, which sort of surprises both of them.
- With pack approval, Mira reworks the magic, using the only person who wasn’t tied into the spell as a gatekeeper. Things will go back to normal, but slowly enough that they won’t really notice.
In town someplace
I haven’t finished Silverwitch yet so writing a sequel, even if it’s a short one, is a little weird. I’m still working out the personalities and backstories, so this may end up as more of a world-building experiment than a true short story. *pokes muses*